The Keep Calm Chimp is an adaptation of Banksy's 'Laugh now', which shows a monkey with a wooden sign hanging over it reading ' Laugh now but one day we'll be in charge'. Which was originally sold at auction in a nighclub in Brighton, but since Banksy has re-created the image on the streets. Monkeys along with rats have been a common in Banksy works, with examples like Drill Rat and Monkey Parliment.
Banksy started as a freehand graffiti artist 19921994 as one of Bristols DryBreadZ Crew (DBZ), with Kato and Tes. He was inspired by local artists and his work was part of the larger Bristol underground scene. From the start he used stencils as elements of his freehand pieces, too. By 2000 he had turned to the art of stencilling after realising how much less time it took to complete a piece. He claims he changed to stencilling whilst he was hiding from the police under a train carriage, when he noticed the stencilled serial number and by employing this technique, he soon became more widely noticed for his art around Bristol and London.
We now offer size, fabric & filling options on selected cushion collections. So please use the drop menu on the right, to customize your order.
- Vegan–friendly, super soft faux suede (100% Polyester) with a coloured back panel and zip fasting.
- Our 100% cotton / linen mix gives a natural feel and look. It is finished with a concealed zip.
- All our heritage and retro collections are best suited to this fabric choice.
- Lovingly handmade in UK
- Machine washable (check care label prior to washing)
- Design is Printed on one side only